Welcome to our information page for 2015-2016 competitive season tryouts. If you are new to our club, welcome to Durham Attack; please take a few moments to explore our site and see what our teams experienced last season. We’re looking forward to another great season!
A summary of our competitive program is here. There are a number of things that differentiate our program and we encourage you to attend tryouts for multiple clubs, compare programs and ask questions of the coaches and club executive. We look forward to seeing you at tryouts!
Here is our schedule for tryouts. We will update this schedule as scheduling conflicts occur and are fixed, so please check back here frequently.
Durham Attack 2015-2016 Tryout Schedule.
Continue to keep an eye on this page as changes may be posted throughout tryouts.
- Tryouts will start on Saturday September 12th. All athletes will be in the gym that weekend. There will be a minimum of three tryouts per team. Athletes will be coached at tryouts and will have the opportunity to spend a six hours on the court. You should attend all tryouts, if you are able to.
- Our intent is that tryouts will complete by the end of Thursday September 17th, teams will be selected, and all athletes will be given offers. If required, we will run an additional sessions in the following week, and/or contact additional athletes.
- Online tryout registration has now closed, please print and bring this completed form to tryouts: Durham Attack Tryout Form
- The cost to register is $35 at the door, for all tryout sessions including a tryout t-shirt. Bring cash or cheque made out to “Durham Attack Volleyball Club” to the first tryout. Please write the athlete’s name and age group on the back of the cheque.
- Arrive at the gym 20-30 minutes before your first tryout, to allow time for registration.
- Wear volleyball attire and bring water. Each tryout session is 2 hours in duration, and we anticipate there will be three tryouts per gender/age group.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How do the age groups work? What does ’15U’ mean?
Answer: ’15U’ means age 15 and under; an athlete must be no older than 15. It does not mean that the athlete must be 15, as it is possible for a younger athlete to play in an older age group. The age group is defined by an athlete’s age in the year in which the season ends, which is 2016. If an athlete will turn 15 in 2016, for example, then they would normally complete in the 15U age group.
Question: I cannot attend one/two of the tryouts due to a conflict. Can I still tryout?
Answer: Yes, absolutely. It is common for athletes to have conflicts in the first half of September, with soccer playoffs and other club tryouts competing for your time. We ask that you email us at ‘email@example.com’ providing your name and age group to make us aware of the conflict, we will pass it along to coaches so they are aware of when you can and cannot attend. Also please make the coach aware at the first tryout you attend. Missing a single tryout, or at younger ages two tryouts, does not jeopardize your ability to make a team.
Question: How many teams are you planning to run at each age?
Answer: This year we hope to run the following teams:
Girls: 12U (2), 13U (3), 14U (3), 15U (2), 16U (2), 17U (2), 18U (2)
Boys: 13U (1), 14U (1), 15U (1), 16U (2), 17U (1), 18U (1)
This is a total of 23 teams, two more than last season. We also plan to add more 12U teams once our girls House League starts its January session. We are still looking for coaches for a couple age groups and will update this list as we get closer to tryouts and see how many athletes we have. We only employ qualified coaches who meet our standards at each age group. We do not add teams simply because a parent volunteers to coach, unless that parent is an experienced player and certified coach who meets our qualifications.
Question: My son/daughter is younger than 13U? Is there a team for this age?
Answer: Yes. There are two alternatives. Our entry level teams always carry underage athletes. And we intend to run 12U girls teams this season, starting earlier than we usually do.
Question: I have heard about a new ‘Tryout Window’ policy? What is it?
Answer: This is a policy instituted by the Ontario Volleyball Association to protect an athlete’s right to freely choose where he or she wishes to play. The policy has been revised for 2015-2016. You can find more information here.
Question: The Tryout Policy allows clubs to re-sign returning athletes prior to the first tryout window. What will Durham Attack be doing?
Answer: We welcome everyone to our tryouts, and want every athlete to have an equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities and earn a spot on a team. As a general rule we will NOT be re-signing athletes prior to tryouts. We intend to complete all tryouts within the first week and extend offers to all athletes by midnight on Thursday September 17th.
Question: I’m new to competitive volleyball. What does the season entail and what does it cost?
Answer: As usual we will provide a handout at tryouts that outlines our programs, what a season typically looks like, and our forecast of costs for the season. We will post this as soon as it is available.
We’re looking for club volunteers to help register athletes at tryouts. If you can assist please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) with details.
We are looking for new volunteers for our operational team and our executive.
We are also seeking additional coaches to help us expand our programs. if you are interested please email email@example.com.
If you have any other questions please email us at ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ or ask us at tryouts.
Durham Attack Volleyball Club